Monday, September 15, 2008

Awesome weekend

I've had one of the busiest, craziest, amazing weekends ever, and I am really paying for it now at work! I am soooooooo tired!!!!

The weekend started with a really challenging wedding for Jenetta on Friday. The circumstances made for a stressful beginning for both of us!

On Friday night, we celebrated David's birthday by eating at Chipotle and then going to Stone Brewery to hang out for the evening. It was really great to hang with the guys and enjoy a "guys night out..." We capped off the night by eating donuts at Peterson's (which was a huge mistake in my opinion - greasy donuts at 11:30 do not make for a healthy tummy overnight).

The next morning, I got up early to go to Big Bear to mountain bike with David and Blake. After some great conversation in the car, we made it to the ski lift around 10:00. We took a really challenging run first that rubbed huge sores on both of my thumbs. I had gloves, but they were the fingerless kind, sadly. I made it down without crashing, but it was really hard. The second run was really great! We took a wider forest road and could go really fast. I was enjoying this ride a lot until near the bottom when the derailer on my bike decided to explode and collide with the spokes. My bike was ruined. People have advised me that it is not worth fixing, and that I should just get another one. (Jessica - any good bike prospects this year?) :)





I was able to coast the bike down the rest of the hill and only had to walk it up a few small sections. We took the lift up again for lunch at the lodge at the top. After lunch, Blake and David rode two more runs, and I spent about 90 minutes just hiking around the mountain and following my nose for a while. Even though I was not riding, I still enjoyed the experience. It gave me a little time to think about the things we had talked about and pray.

Later that night, David and I went to the Padres game. We had free tickets and a parking pass, but due to car problems, we didn't make it until later in the game, but it was worth it to enjoy a little bit of the ballpark atmosphere. It was a special day - I spent 15 hours with David. For many reasons, I don't think I will ever forget that Saturday.

On Sunday, Jenetta and I helped with worship. It has been a while since she has sung with the team, so it was good to have her back with us. Doug has started a series on thinking about the nature of God. He started with "Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." I have been thinking about the Shema Yisrael and what it means to declare that God is one. I think that is a very appropriate way to begin and end your day.

We left church to go to lunch together, and we had car troubles of our own. The key on the car wouldn't turn in the ignition. The steering wheel locking mechanism has frozen somehow. After jiggling for 20 minutes, we finally got it going. I drove it home and left the key in the on position, but disconnected the battery. I was able to start it this morning no problem and it is currently at our mechanic's place being repaired.

Don't get me started on the Charger's game after that! (Or the Padre's game, where they blew a 4 run lead to lose to San Francisco in 10 innings.)

That evening, Ryan Castillo and I went to the House of Blues to see Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. I saw them last summer and enjoyed their stuff. When I got a two-for-one coupon for the show, I decided that I would like to check them out again. There were things that I really enjoyed about the show, but there were also some things that put a damper on it for me. They played a really long set - almost 2 1/2 hours! And the music got louder and louder and louder as the night went on. Near the end, the vocals were cranked so loud that you couldn't even understand what they were saying when they just talked to the audience. It was just a lot of noise. Good - bluesy, heavy guitar noise, but noise nonetheless. But the best part was just spending more time with Ryan and getting to know him more.

It's weird having a corporate job and living for the weekend. But this weekend, I think I did enough living to last me at least until the next one... I sure am tired!

2 comments:

david.toney September 16, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

i agree

Jess September 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

Sounds like quite a weekend! Wow! Sorry about your bike though. Bummer! Good thing it was pretty much free! :) We won't know about bikes until the end of the school year, but I'll definitely look into it for you. :)

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP