Wednesday, January 30, 2008

U2 in 3D

I went with some friends to see the concert film of U2. It was shown on an imax screen in 3D, and it was LOUD! It was by far the loudest movie I have ever been at. If I were to guess, I'd say that the volume was about 80% of the level of a real concert. My ears were still ringing several hours after the show.

There were so many amazing things about it. Can you imagine what it would be like to have thousands of people singing along to songs that you wrote 25 years ago? They did "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and turned it into a challenge for jews and muslims to get along (both as sons of Abraham.) That song is of of the "War" album released in 1983. I was also impressed with the size of the guitar work by the Edge. With delays and processors, he is able to make a single guitar sound so full - sometimes like it could be three guitars.

It made me want to be a rock star so badly! Not because I crave attention or fame (although the money part would be nice) but to get the opportunity to have that kind of volume come out of my guitar would be sweet! It would be so awesome to ring out a a big full root-position chord and have people cover their ears because it was so loud or scream back in joy because they hear the intro to a song they recognize.

The 3D aspect of the film was pretty cool as well. It was obviously a warm evening when they recorded the concert, and a lot of people were throwing water around to cool themselves. So early in the film they panned over the audience and little water droplets seemed like they were thrown at me. Every once in a while someone would lift up their camera or phone to take a shot and that popped up at the bottom of the screen and seemed right in front of me. It made me feel like I was actually there.

It was a fun show, and it made me feel a little better for not getting tickets to the Vertigo tour when they were here. I was trying to get tickets with three other people and all of us struck out since it sold out so fast.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP