Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 - The Year Of ???

Over the past week, I have been categorizing and looking back on the sum of my recent experiences. I have found it helpful for me to label in terms of music and events. For example, 2005 was the year of "How Great is our God" by Chris Tomlin. I must have played that song in church 40 or more times that year. It was also the year of home construction and a dirt front yard. 2006 was the year of anything by Hillsong United and the year we learned about budgeting and being more responsible with our income.

2007 was a very different year for us. Since the beginning of our marriage, we had seen a comfortable trend develop - we earned more money every year. We always had our needs met and could pretty much purchase whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. That started to change late in 2006 and we are grateful that God allowed us to learn to be more responsible because 2007 was a very tough year for our businesses. If we had put down the new floors or spent a lot to finish the kitchen or the backyard, we would have been in serious trouble. Instead, the little extra that we were able to save went directly to the bank and was waiting for us when things got really tough in the fall and winter. 2007 was the year of learning to live with less. Although it has been unpleasant, I'm kind of glad we were forced to change our thinking about income. It is my sincere desire that when or if our business fortunes change, we would not forget these lessons, and that we would be able to use the extra resources to help out others. We would like to finish the interior of our home, but we are both determined not to let "lifestyle creep" ramp up our spending again.

2007 was also the year I learned to enjoy running. I started late in the summer and could barely run a mile when I began. Now 6 miles is no problem for me. I plan to run a few more 10-Ks this year and hopefully run a half marathon by the fall.

Another highlight for 2007 was the beginning of the adoption process. The concerns about our businesses and the uncertainty of our financial future has put these plans on the back burner a bit, but we have completed all the paperwork and coursework required of us. Through all of the steps we had to complete on our end, we have been open to whatever God has for us. Our attitude has been that we are curious, and think it may be a possibility for us, so we are moving ahead and will see what happens. Through the whole summer, that perspective has not changed for either of us. There haven't been any developments where we said "this is not for us," nor has there been anything that made us say "this is definitely for us - right now!" Through it all, we are moving ahead - open and waiting to see what will happen.

On the music end, I was introduced to two bands that are so awesome and meaningful to me that I find it difficult to put into words. For both, I have purchased all their albums through iTunes and can't wait for to see what they release next. Both bands are at the top of the count for my most played but for completely different reasons.

I can't get enough of Sigur Ros. This band is from Iceland, and I can't understand anything they are singing. But their music is so beautiful that it often brings me to tears when I listen to a few songs. It makes me want to visit Iceland and see them play. I found it funny that my mom thought Agaetis Byrjun sounded "whiny" and that she didn't like it at all. That's OK - I think most of her music is pretty boring, and she really enjoys her music. (You can't help smiling with joy when you see her with her new iPod humming away to her collection.) But I would love their stuff even if the rest of the world hated them. The music of Sigur Ros has the ability to instantly transport me to somewhere else.

The other band that I really learned to appreciate this year is The Flaming Lips. I went to a show they put on in downtown SD and I was in a really bad mood. I had wanted to go with a couple friends or at least Jenetta, and since the concert was free, I thought it would be cool to share the experience with them. It turned out that they were not able to attend and Jenetta was tired after an early wedding that day, so I went down there by myself. It sucked to be surrounded by all these people partying with their friends and having a great time with the warm up acts when I was alone and feeling sorry for myself. Then the Lips came on and I experienced a sensory overload unlike any I'd ever had before. The sights, sounds, smells, and even the physical touch sensations were overwhelming. I held Wayne Coyne over my head as he rolled around in his giant clear beach ball for the first song. They launched so much confetti into the air that it felt like I was in a blizzard. It washed through my outstretched arms over and over. It was impossible to be sour in that environment. I smiled from ear to ear for the whole concert. Although I liked their stuff before seeing them live, the concert changed my perspective of all of their catalog. I can't listen to "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" or "Do You Realize" or "Bad Days" without instantly feeling much better.

So what will 2008 hold in store for us? What will 2008 be "the year of"?

Well, I hope it will be the year I get a new job or consistent work of some kind. I am doing all I can do to make that happen, and through it all, I am learning to trust in God more and more.

Maybe it will be the year that our lives change drastically as we bring children into our home.
Maybe it will be the year that Jenetta's business really takes off.
Maybe it will be the year I finally transition from my longboard to my shortboard.
Maybe it will be the year that I drop that extra weight because of running more consistently.
Maybe it will be the year that Jeremy and I climb Mt. Whitney together.
Maybe it will be the year that our band gets it together and performs.
Maybe it will be the year that we are blessed with even more friends.
Maybe it will be the year that Jesus comes back.

Thanks for being interested enough to read through this long post. It means a lot to us that we have such a huge support network of friends and family.

I hope you have a happy and blessed 2008!

2 comments:

david.toney January 2, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

good post. i'm glad you like sigur ros. hopefully they will tour in 2008, and we'll go see them.

The Morales Family January 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Wow Jon...I loved reading your insights! I felt like I was right there with you at the "Lips" concert! I look forward to reading more about what your 2008 turns out to be, and I'm glad that I can be a part of it! Robbie and I really enjoy the two of you as friends!!!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP