Friday, June 20, 2008

Movie recommendation

Maybe it is because we have children on the brain...

But we really enjoyed the film, La Misma Luna (or in English, Under the Same Moon). We found it to be a moving story seasoned with humor and love. I especially enjoyed the director's decision of how she ended the movie with a witty last shot. But the overall story line, while predictable, was touching throughout.

Briefly, it is the story of a 9 year old boy, Carlitos, who decides to leave his village in Mexico and travel through Ciudad Juarez and cross into El Paso on his way to attempt to find his mother who is working in LA.

At the very least, it opened our eyes a bit about the situations many of our neighbors have faced or are currently facing as they try to make it in So. Cal. Antonio, a guy who works for our landscaper, helped me out on some of the projects we completed while building the addition, and I have gotten to know him a bit over the years. He has three children in Mexico, and he gets home to see them only once or twice a year. I can't even imagine how tough that has to be.

Anyway, we enjoyed the film, and if you are looking for something to rent, check it out!

1 comments:

Anonymous June 24, 2008 at 10:38 PM  

Erika and I just finished watching this movie. Wow, it was fantastic! The making of it was really interesting to watch and very informative. It truly saddens me knowing that there are many people amongst us that, like in the film, are separated from their loved ones in an attempt to make a better life for them all. Although many people disagree with me, I am not a supporter of building a wall and/or barrier to keep people out of the U.S. I wonder how God feels about us spending so much money on keeping ourselves segregated, not very happy I bet. Sometimes I think people forget that we are all human beings and all have the same creator.
Thanks for the recommendation, Jon.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP