Thursday, July 30, 2009

Too many thorns

Mark 4:18-19

18Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful.



I feel very convicted by this today. I've been feeling for a long time that I am overwhelmed by concerns and details about work. I wake up at night, I wake up early, it's almost all I think about. Some of this is stress that will be alleviated soon when my boss returns. But most of it is just concern about doing a good job and working hard for the investors who have put their trust and money in our hands.

The times I am able to focus on homelife, I find myself being consumed with the need to do chores around the house - the cleaning never ends with two preschoolers! And even when there are not chores to be done, I fill my time watching shows on PBS and playing Cities and Knights online.

For several days now, I have been feeling like although I pray a lot, there has not been very much substance to my faith. It feels meaningless and empty. I hear a voice telling me to spend more time in God's Word. Then I blow it off and read the paper or wash dishes.

This morning I woke up early. Before doing all the chores, I picked up in the book of Mark where I had left off weeks before. The verses above stopped me.

I'm surrounded by thorns. I can describe and name every one of them, and most of them I planted myself or let grow around me. I don't feel like I am producing any fruit - even in the lives of our daughters.

I want to be good, fruitful soil...

2 comments:

laura r. August 6, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Although I hear some conviction in this post, which is good, since you are acting upon it...it is something to hear your humility, Jon. wow. God is doing great work in you and through you, don't lose heart! God's grace is sufficient! I am praying for you to be strong and to continue faithful in all that God has given you.

Wendy August 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

This post really got me Jon. I feel the same way and fully acknowledge that I have placed many of the thorns around myself. My problem is I am not sure right now how to remove them. Prayer and contemplation is not getting me anywhere. It's a constant battle, one I seem to be on the losing end of as of late, yet again!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP