Tuesday, February 17, 2009

New Job

Today was a whirlwind of events! Let me back up a bit. Jenetta and I sat down last night to watch an episode of "Freaks and Geeks" and I received a voice mail about a job I'd applied for a few weeks ago. I was thinking about blowing it off until the morning, but I decided to call back. We spoke for about an hour.

I met with Derek today at a co-op deli in Ocean Beach. We interviewed for about 2 hours. He answered all my questions, and I learned a lot! After that time, it was clear to both of us that I was the perfect match for the position. I was offered the job and I accepted right away. We talked for another half hour about specifics, and then I returned to catch up on the rest of my Sony stuff.

I start on Friday as the executive assistant for Kiwaii. It is a startup water company that will be delivering product directly to consumers and sold at high-end and health specialty stores very soon. The website is not where it needs to be yet, but it gives you an idea about the concept. Check it out.

I am very concerned about the quality of food that I put into my body. If we could afford it, we would eat locally produced organic food for everything. But prior to last night, I hadn't really thought much about what kind of water I put into my body. I think that will drastically change. Derek gave me a case of the water to try out. I'm excited to learn more about what unpolluted water means and to contribute to making the company a success.

What I am most thrilled about though is that I think I've finally found a position that is a perfect fit for me. I will be doing organizational things, everyday stuff like book-keeping and filing, preparing power point presentations and written materials for investors, and supporting the sales efforts of Derek. I'll be using the skills I've developed as a teacher/stage manager/photographer/office worker/marketer/writer/production coordinator, etc.... It was clear through our time spent together today that I bring to the company exactly what he is looking for. It's nice to feel needed! It's nice to feel like the weird path I've travelled is seen as an asset and not a liability!

Here are some specifics: I start at an hourly wage that is slightly more than I earn at Sony, but the commute is almost 60 minutes each way. So that is definitely a downer. I start at 10:30 am so I can wait until the traffic rush is over, so that helps somewhat. I will work at Derek's home office, but he plans to relocate soon to Encinitas. That would help cut the commute time in half (and make surfing before or after work a lot easier!) After a trial period, I would transfer to a salaried position which eventually would include stock options. So this definitely allows for the career growth I am looking for. It will involve some travel as we finish production details and meet with investors. Someday, I hope to travel to New Zealand and check out the bottling facilities.

I had been praying that if I were to find something, it would begin before March 2 so there would be no layoff time. Well, I start on this Friday!

There is no doubt in my mind that this is meant to be. Thanks for your support and for praying with us. I'll let you know when the product will be availble for you to try out!

3 comments:

Anonymous February 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

Yeah!!! Congrats on the new job. It definately sounds like this job is perfect for you. So happy to hear you found something that enables you to use all of your talents. It is nice to feel appreciated isn't it?

Jess February 18, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

Yay! Yay! Yay!!! We are so happy for you and so thankful for God's faithful provision in such a wonderful way! :)

Kathy Brown February 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

I'm thrilled for you and Jenetta! I didn't get a chance to tell you how much my heart was touched as you shared so transparently at our family reunion! God loves a heart like that - may you always remember in the hard times that his plan what God has done for you in the good times! Aunt Kathy

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP