Monday, August 30, 2010

First day of school

We had an interesting turn of events this week. We had planned to fully homeschool O for kindergarten, but an opening came up at a charter school for homeschool families. We got a last minute call that there was a space for her, so O will be attending a full day kindergarten two days each week and be home with Jenetta for the other three.

I drove her this morning and Jenetta took L to preschool. I was stressed because traffic was really bad and we didn't take the optimal route, so we missed all the opening events with all the kids at the flagpole. I had to call Jenetta to figure out what class to take O to, but we found it ok and got h
er all settled in. The teacher called her by name and asked her to sit near her on the floor. All the parents had their cameras out, and I found a comfortable place against the back wall to watch. I was there probably for 30 seconds when the teacher said "Alright, time to say goodbye to the parents!" Immediately O yells out "goodbye,daddy!" She was certainly ready to jump in!

We've had a lot of firsts in the past 17 months. I know every parent feels that their kids grow up so quickly. But cut me some slack -
we've been on a slightly accelerated pace! :)

It has surprised me how emotional I am about this today. One day at a time, right? It's not like she's learning to drive or graduating college or walking down the aisle. But I feel as though I can see those things coming! O is ready to take on the world!


8 comments:

Nikki Crockett August 30, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

Ok, clearly I'm going to be a mess next year when I have to drop Jaedyn off for K. I had to reach for the box of tissues just reading your little paragraph. :)

SHEREMYANDJELLEY August 31, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

As a K teacher I have watched a lot of moms and dads go through the emotions of dropping of their child, and have held the hands and wiped the tears of many students as they watch their parents leave. It sound like although emotional that her first year of school started off GREAT! She looks so big in the picture! I am so glad that an opening became available for her!

Greg and Tanya September 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM  

She is soooo cute!!!!
Tanya :)

Marge September 2, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

She looks so beautiful in that pic!!
My baby started college on Mon. and I was emotional. Difference.... she got in her car and drove there! lol
Love you,
Aunt Margaret

Wendy September 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

What a great picture of O! After sending one or more kids off to school every year for the last 13 I still get emotional on the first day. I have a feeling I will be a big mess when Chris graduates this year! It never gets any easier!

The Morales Family September 4, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

She looks so cute and proud! What a grin! I showed Abby and she wants to go to school now. I told her mommy's not ready for that ;)

Jess September 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

I love that you showed her face here! :) I'm excited for her that she got into the school and that she is doing well! :)

Laura R September 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

If you ever want to talk to a veteran dad of only girls (3 of them!), please get in touch with my husband! It IS a big deal to send your little girls off to their life's adventures!
And I tell you what - the granddaughter has been the one to wrap him around her finger - so I wonder what kind of emotional wreck he's going to be as she grows up...
We have done everything but walk one of the girls down the aisle - that is a REAL biggie - but every stage and phase of their growth has been precious.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP