Saturday, April 4, 2009

Good Day/Bad Day

Today I think I did too much. I ran 12 miles in the morning, got the car washed for Jenetta, and then took the girls out for about two hours with our friends Blake and Rachael. We went on a hike to Lake Wohlford. We even saw a man catch a fish! Blake held it and O was willing to try to touch it, but L kept her distance :)

The hike was really great, and it was nice to have the help with the girls. It is so obvious that Blake and Rachael are going to be outstanding parents someday. They definitely have the gift!

Here are some photos from the hike:







Then we got sandwiches at Subway and took them home to mommy for lunch. After that, I got the girls down for a nap and mommy had to leave to shoot a wedding. From then on, I was on my own. Yikes!!!

The diaper thing was gross, but not as tough as I thought.

What was tough was playing/policing them all day by myself. O is really fond of getting into things that could potentially cause her great bodily injury. That was tough to deal with and it really wore me down after a while. Dinner at Lourdes was probably not the smartest decision on my part - but force of habit - It's what I do when Jenetta is gone! But by the time bath time had come around, I was pretty short with her and she knew it. Man - a four year old is really good at pushing buttons when they want to!!!

I think not having mommy around for dinner and bath time was disconcerting for L and she asked to get under the covers in O's bed after story time. This worked for about ten minutes until O started whispering things to L that really upset her. This incident was really heartbreaking for me. It was clear by what she said that some terrible things have been said to her, or somehow, she has developed an extremely negative image of herself. It really bothered me.

It took both of them longer than usual to settle down, but because O had started bath time at 7:30, they were still asleep sooner than the last few nights. Then I folded the six loads of laundry I had been working on all day, and cleaned up the house until Jenetta got home.

One of the things we learned in our adoptive parenting classes is that if you have a tough day, or blow it in some way, don't worry, you'll get a chance to do better tomorrow when the same thing happens again :) This is encouraging and frightening at the same time.

When I sat down to write this, our friend Laura had posted a comment that concluded this way:
". Most importantly, I think you all are realizing in a big way that when God says His grace is sufficient, He means that it grows to accomodate your need! Love to you...Laura"

I so needed to hear that tonight!

6 comments:

Jess April 6, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

I am finding that one of my favorite things to do these days is to check your blog for a new update! Thanks for doing such an amazing job at keeping us up to date!

I can definitely say that I know what it feels like to find myself at the end of my rope, especially after a long, hard day. We never want to be short with our kids, but there are those days where it happens. :( Thanks for the reminder that there's always a fresh start every day and that God's grace really does expand to meet our needs! I know that God is using you and Jenetta to have an incredible impact on O & L! But you're right, they've been through a lot in their short little lives and it's gonna take some time, and a lot of prayer and patience to walk them through this. You guys are really doing an amazing job though! Keep the updates coming! They really are a big bright spot in my day! Love you!

laura rudgers April 6, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

I am so glad that what God prompted me to write was so what you needed to hear. As a parent, I don't what I would have done over the years, and even now, if I did not have the assurance of God's provision of grace in my life. And His love, strength and especially forgiveness. It is such a HUGE responsibility to be a parent, but such an honor. Love to you all...Laura

adam April 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

This is the classic case of:
I Used to Have Answers, Now I Have Kids!

Jon and Jenetta April 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Adam, you hit it exactly on the head! You are so right!!!

Wendy April 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

"One of the things we learned in our adoptive parenting classes is that if you have a tough day, or blow it in some way, don't worry, you'll get a chance to do better tomorrow when the same thing happens again :) This is encouraging and frightening at the same time." Parenthood in a nutshell. You just do the best you can every day! I was laughing at O pushing your buttons - mine do that on a daily basis. The bodily injury thing is pretty common at that age, mine are always climbing and getting into potentially dangerous situations. Once in a month time span I had to call poison control twice. Ok, that sounded worse than it really was. You just can't ever turn your back on them for too long. Nice to see you enjoy some of the same challenges we do each and every day.

Geoff April 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

When they were little, my sister Julie used to tell Angie that our mom was really a mean, bald man who one day would rip off his wig and kidnap her...Angie was freaked out...

The good news is that they've turned out pretty well...

I say that to be funny, but I also think there's some truth there...

You guys have a great perspective on parenting and I know that loving them and being consistent will make the difference in their lives. Just keep your wig on.

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP